Billy Baxter, Town Crier of Llandudno.
Llandudno Town Council has recently appointed Mr Billy Baxter as Town Crier for Llandudno. The post is an Honorarium Office and includes the following duties:
- To promote the town locally and further afield
- To support local organisations, charities and groups by attendance at functions and activities and to open events and new businesses if requested to do so.
- To give talks on the role of the Town Crier.
- To perambulate the town to welcome residents and visitors.
- To give regular shouts in town to tell of forthcoming events and occasions in the town.
- To support the Mayor and attend Civic events within the town.
Billy is a former Staff Sergeant who served in the Royal Horse Artillery for almost 21 years, before losing his sight whilst serving in Bosnia in 1997. He moved to Llandudno to work for Blind Veterans UK where he is the Rehabilitation and Training Liaison Officer.
Billy is married to Karen and they have 3 grown up children and 4 grandchildren. He has many interests including horse riding, skiing, rock climbing, and sea fishing. He is holder of the blind solo motorcycle land speed record and has appeared on Top Gear driving a reasonably priced car. He also works at Bodelwyddan castle working with the paranormal investigation team, taking visitors around on guided tours.
Billy said of his appointment “I am so proud to serve my country and proud to serve Llandudno which has given me a role I am honoured to perform. I love people and making them smile”. He is the only blind Town Crier in Europe and the second in UK history, the last being Joseph Howarth from Oldham, who was blind from birth and was in post between 1820-1860.
If you see Billy on one of his regular walks around the town, please say hello.